Ursa Major The Great Bear
(or the Big Dipper, the Plough, the Wain) and
Canes Venatici The Hunting Dogs
To see labels, touch the image with your mouse cursor.
- Objects visible in this photo:
- The eight named stars in Ursa Major, including Mizar & Alcor the famous pair in the "handle" of the Dipper.
- M 40, the double star that mysteriously appears in Messier's list.
- Galaxies M51 (Whirlpool Galaxy), M 94, M106, M108, and M109. At this scale, these galaxies look exactly like faint stars.
- The two named stars in Canes Venatici. Cor Caroli ("Charles' Heart") was named by Edmund Halley in honor of Charles I, King of England.
Location: Troy, New Hampshire
Camera: Olympus OM2n
Lens: 50mm f/1.8 lens at f/2.8
Film: Fujicolor Super G Plus 800
Exposure: 3 minutes, tracked with motor-driven barn door camera mount.
«« more constellations