Orion The Hunter
To see labels, touch the image with your mouse cursor.
- Objects visible in this photo include:
- The seven named stars in Orion: Betelgeuse, Rigel, Bellatrix, Saiph, and the "belt" stars Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka.
- M 42 and M 43, the Orion Nebula.
- Bright nebula M 78.
- Open clusters NGC 1981 and Collinder 69. Note the large, faint red nebulosity around Collinder 69.
- Barnard's Loop, an enormous arc-shaped structure that is difficult to observe visually but relatively easy to capture on film.
- The red nebulosities around Alnitak (zeta Orionis): NGC 2024 and IC 434.
The detail at right shows the famous Horsehead Nebula (B 33). It is barely visible as a small, dark feature against the background of bright nebula IC 434.
Location: Troy, New Hampshire
Camera: Nikon FM2
Lens: 50mm f/1.4 lens at f/2.8
Film: Kodak Elite Chrome 200 slide film
Exposure: 10-minute exposure, tracked with motor-driven barn door camera mount.
«« more constellations